Home Safety Tests
To Consider
Mold & Mildew
Water Pollution
Air Pollution
Air Duct Cleaning
Asbestos Hazards
Carbon Monoxide
Radon Gas
Lead Poisoning
   
About Us
Contact Us
Legal
Home Page



LEAD POISONING

Ingesting lead paint and breathing in lead dust is the #1 contributor to lead poisoning which causes brain damage and affects over 200,000 children each year.

Lead poisoning limits a child’s ability to learn, even after a short term exposure. It is estimated that a child’s I.Q. drops 3 points for every 10 micrograms per decileter of lead in their blood.


HOME SAFETY INSPECTIONS CONDUCTS TESTS
FOR THE PRESENCE OF LEAD PAINT OR LEAD DUST

The Professional Lead Testing we conduct offers the option of testing either suspect of lead paint or lead dust to approved standards for real estate transactions. The test utilizes atomic absorption spectrometer via graphite furnace offers proficiency results within 2 weeks. Lab fee is included. Info about our lab reports.

Ingesting lead paint and breathing in lead dust is the #1 contributor to lead poisoning, which causes brain damage and affects over 200,000 children each year

  • Offers the option of testing either suspect of lead paint or lead dust to approved methods.
  • Meets requirements for real estate transactions.
  • Simple to use test utilizes atomic absorption spectrometer via graphite furnace.
  • Offers Profeciency results within 2 weeks.
  • Lab fee and pre-paid postage envelope included.

    More than 200,000 children in the United States contract lead poisoning every year.

    If the child receives prompt medical attention, chances for recovery are very good. However, if the exposure goes undetected, it can bring about permanent damage, causing anything from learning disabilities to severe mental retardation and even death. Children under the age of 7 are much more susceptible to lead poisoining because their developing bodies absorb the lead at 4 times the rate of an adult.

    Compounding this medical danger is the fact that one of the most common places for children to become exposed to lead is in the home. The major sources of in-home contamination are lead-based paints, tap water, colorful ceramic dishes, soiland airborne lead particles. Because you can’t see, taste or smell lead, everyone is potentially at risk. This information was developed to provide you with a primary knowledge about the risk of lead contamination. We encourage you to thoroughly educate yourself on in-home environmental dangers and learn how to protect yourself and your family.

    Children Should Be Tested

    Health officials recommend that children receive a blood test for lead contamination by the age of one and continue testing every couple of years. However, if you suspect that your home may be contaminated with lead, have the child tested at six months old. It is estimated that as many as 1 in 4 children under the age of 7 have lead in their blood. Contact your local health department for the location of medical attention and testing facilities.

    Water Contamination


    Lead contamination from tap water occurs because of the presence of lead-containing materials in the plumbing system. Lead contaminated tap water may pose a serious health threat. According to the U.S. EPA approximately 20% of public water systems, serving 32 million people, were found to have lead levels exceeding the EPA's safety standard of 15 ppb (parts per billion).

    Risk Indicators

    According to the EPA, the ultimate responsibility for safe drinking water rests with the end user. The water you drink may contain lead, which can cause adverse health effects, even at short–term exposure. Young children and pregnant women are at the greatest risk.

    A home is at high risk of lead contaminated water if it has:

    1.       lead pipes and/or lead connectors from the water main
    2.      
    copper pipes with lead solder
    3.      
    soft water (a water softener can contribute to the corrosiveness of the water and if used, should not be connected to pipes leading to drinking water taps)
    4.      
    water remaining in pipes that contact lead for several hours (the longer water has been sitting in your home's pipes, the more lead it may contain).The age of your home is a major contributing factor. Older homes with plumbing installed prior to 1930, are likely to have lead pipes. In addition, plumbing with copper pipes installed before 1988, may contain lead solder. Today, lead pipes and materials are prohibited from being used in plumbing that leads to drinking water taps.

    Protection From Water Contamination


    There are several “rules of thumb” that should be used in protecting a family from lead contaminated tap water.

    Preventive Steps
    1.       Flush your pipes before use. Prior to using water for cooking or drinking, run the tap water until it becomes as cold as it will get. Save the flushing water for cleaning, watering plants, washing dishes.
    2.      
    Use only cold water for drinking & cooking -- hot water is likely to contain higher levels of lead.
    3.      
    Inspect your plumbing system to detect lead. Lead pipes and solder are dull gray, when scratched they will look shiny.
    4.      
    Have your water tested with a lead detection product that utilizes U.S. EPA recognized laboratories If your lead test comes back positive, the best way to handle the problem is to determine the source and remove it.


    Lead Paint Contamination


    Lead-based paint is a notorious culprit. Many homes/apartments built before 1960 have heavily leaded paint and homes/apartments built prior to 1978 may also contain paint with dangerously high levels of lead. Lead based paint can be on walls, ceilings, woodwork, windows, furniture (cribs), children’s toys and even floors. As it peels, paint chips are loosened and can be ingested by children. Another contamination source from lead is lead dust particles. Painted surface friction points, such as window frames and sills, create paint dust. Household renovation activities can also create high levels of paint dust. When a lead–based paint surface is broken, sanded or scraped, it breaks into tiny, sometimes invisible, pieces that children can swallow or inhale.

    Ceramic dishes and mugs are another area of concern. Some ceramic dishware, especially those imported from foreign countries, may contain lead contaminated glaze. The lead can leach into food or liquids, particularly acidic foods. Foods stored or cooked in these containers are at higher risk of contamination.

    Reduce the Risk of Contamination

    The initial step in preventing lead poisoning is determining whether or not your house and household items contain lead. All suspected surfaces and dishware should be tested. Our Professional Lead Surface Testing and Professional Paint & Dust Testing provide a simple, accurate and easy first line of defense against lead contamination.  Our test products are safe and non-toxic. All surfaces including walls, windows, ceilings, floors and ceramics should be tested.

    Good housecleaning is another important element. Keep all of your children’s play areas as dust–free as possible. Frequently wash floors and windows with phosphate–rich cleansers, such as automatic dish washing detergents. Keep all toys clean by washing them often.

    If you discover the presence of lead–based paint in your house, do not attempt to remove it yourself. Contact your local health department and seek help from a professional who has special training in lead paint removal or encapsulation.

    Home Testing Solution

    Mostly all home health hazards are preventable. But only if you know that a problem exists. That’s where our state-of–the–art home safety lead detection testing can help a homeowner.

    Our Professional Lead Surface Testing will detect lead on any surface to as little as 5 ppm.

    Our Lead in Water Test allows a homeowner to have their drinking water professionally analyzed at EPA guidelines for lead contamination to as little 1 ppb; current EPA standards allow 15 ppb.


    Our Professional Lead Surface Test can include testing dinnerware, mini blinds, ceramics, soil, plumbing pipes and fixtures, children's toys and antiques, etc.


    LEAD POISONING CAUSES BRAIN DAMAGE TO CHILDREN FROM BIRTH TO 8 YEARS OLD. WE TEST A HOME OR OFFICE FOR THIS DEADLY TOXIN.



  • Certified Mold Inspectors
    Alamo, CA (925) 946-2500
    License # 020952


    Copyright © 2004-2005
    Home Safety Inspections
    All Rights Reserved.




    Any written materials contained on this site which bear the name(s)
    of any other organizationare the exclusive property of that organization(s).