is Carbon Monoxide?
Carbon monoxide is an odorless, tasteless, and colorless gas which
is caused by incomplete combustion of fossil fuels from
- Natural Gas
- Fuel oil, wood or coal and any
other type of fuel.
is estimated that carbon monoxide causes as many as 1,000 deaths
per year in the United States.
Carbon monoxide gas can be emitted by
- Fire places
- Gas heaters
- Gas stoves
- Gas or oil furnaces
- Wood, coal or gas dryers
- Gas barbeques
Carbon Monoxide is a lethal gas produced in normal amounts whenever
you use an appliance which burns a combustible fuel. Combustible fuels
include gas, oil, kerosene, charcoal and wood. When proper ventilation
of appliances becomes blocked, carbon monoxide concentrations build
up inside your home and become deadly.
Because carbon monoxide is invisible, tasteless and odorless, its
victims may never know there is something wrong until it’s too late.
It often takes the lives of whole families. Children and the elderly
are the first to be overcome along with pets. Over 2,500* people in
the United States will die each year of carbon monoxide poisoning
and over 10,000 will be hospitalized.
Most victims who lose consciousness may be left with permanent brain
damage, mental and speech disorders, vision and hearing impairments,
seizures, coma or death.
Carbon Monoxide quickly replaces vital oxygen in the blood which results
in suffocation from the inside out. It could take as little as 3 minutes,
depending on the level of concentration. Since you cannot see, hear,
taste or smell carbon monoxide, the only way to protect your family
is to recognize the symptoms and install a carbon monoxide detector.
Symptoms to watch for:
Understanding the Meaning of CO Concentrations
- headaches, drowsiness, dizzineess
- nausea, vomiting and rapid heartbeat
- unconsciousness, coma and death
- everyone in the house is feeling
ill at the same time
- it feels as though you have the
flu Common Causes of In-Home Carbon Monoxide Poisoning
- Malfunctioning or improperly vented
heaters and furnaces
- Blocked passageways in chimneys
- Paint removers which contain methylene
chloride and which the body absorbs and converts to carbon monoxide
- Depressurization in the house (“backdraft”).
- 9 ppm (0.0009%) Maximum allowable
concentration for short term exposure in a living area
- 35 ppm (0.0035%) Maximum allowable
concentrations for continuous exposure in any 8-hour period
- 400 ppm (0.04%) Frontal or slight
headaches within 1-2 hours becoming life threatening after 3 hours
- 800 ppm (0.08%) Dizziness, nausea
and convulsions within 45 minutes. Unconsciousness within 2 hours.
Death within 2-3 hours.
- 1600 ppm (0.16%) Headache, dizziness
and nausea within 20 minutes. Death within 1 hour.
- 3200 ppm (0.32%) Headache, dizziness
and nausea in 5-10 minutes. Death within 30 minutes.
- 6400 ppm (.64%) Headache, dizziness
and nausea 1-2 minutes. Death within 10-15 minutes. 12800 ppm
(1.28%) Death within 1-3 minutes.
MONOXIDE TESTING CONDUCTED BY HOME SAFETY INSPECTIONS
The Carbon Monoxide testing device we use contains chemical
elements that turn grey when they come in contact with carbon monoxide.
They will detect as little as 50 ppm (before it becomes dangerous
to a family).
We can also install a carbon monixide detector that is operated
electrically (various models available)
Professional Carbon Monoxide Detectors are:
- Low in cost
- Adheres to wall or door
or operates using your electrical system
- Spot turns gray or black when CO
is present or rings an alarm
- Spot returns to original color
when air is clean
- Lasts for three months once opened
systems operate year-round
- Laboratory tested for accuracy
- Accurate and reliable results
- Can also be used in boats, aircraft
and RVs and more!
we have tested your home or office, we can then make any changes
necessary to protect you and your family from further exposure to
Carbon Monoxide Facts Brochure - Boating Safety
CARBON MONOXIDE - SAFETY TIPS!
Keep chimney free of blockages such as bird nests, leaves,
or debris. Clear the path for gas to escape
Inefficient cooktop burners or ovens
may release carbon monoxide. Vent hoods must be free of clogs
Natural-gas fire places are a hot home product. But, watch
for any unvented pilot lights.
Furnaces and water heaters are ignored for months
at a time. Check for venting and gas-line leaks regularly.